Sunday, April 11, 2010

Peace Squared


My brother's clothes caught on fire when I was 8 and he was 6. He was burned very badly, but survived. I guess the trauma of that day made me very fearful of fire. In the day, open flames were a part of life. There were space heaters and wall furnaces. Fireplace were more open than not. So fire was not something you could totally get away from. Late at night, was the worst. I would stay awake worrying about another fire. Sometimes crying myself to sleep.

I remember my mom coming into my room and holding me. Just her presence was enough. It stayed my fears and allowed me to fall asleep. When Jesus came to the upper room to see the disciples, he said, "Peace be to you". I am thinking that was more a greeting they were used to. But I can only imagine the tangible peace of his very presence in that room. I am here, they did not kill me, I am still alive. Don't worry.

After he showed them his hands and side, he said again, "Peace be to you" Jesus was not one to repeat himself without reason. The men in that room had betrayed him. In the garden when they could not stay awake. Peter in the courtyard, denying he knew him. The others, who were not even there to do that. The second peace was for that part of them. To take away the guilt of what they did not do - their sins of ommission.

Peace squared - way cool.

1 comment: