Thursday, December 31, 2009

Surprise Ending

Reading verses from Job. Job 19:1-27 to be exact. Starting to read this out of context, I thought it was Job talking to God. I have had those conversations. Why me? I am good, faithful, I read my Bible, I even teach Sunday School Why am I going through so much stuff.

But, I realized this was Job talking to his supposed friend, Bildad It dawned on me, the Book of Job is not God testing Job, but Job coming to the same realization that I am just now starting to get. I don't deserve anything. Anything I have done of any worth is out of the kindness of His heart and/or the work of His hands in, out, on, and through me.

The other day, I was pretty overwhelmed with the financial struggles we were going through. I started to go into the litany of why is this happening to such good folks and why He should hear and answer my prayers. But those words would not come. Out of my mouth came the words, "Have mercy on me". Now to me, that was some type of communion liturgy, not something us common folks would utter. But utter the words I did. In a most dramatic and soul-wrenching way.

It was freeing. It was as if I was a lawyer with my evidence on the table in front of me and in an instance, it disappeared and I had nothing. I was about to start my arguments, and I had not one shred of evidence. Not one thing of worth that would prove I was worthy. The only thing I had and could cling to was His nature, His grace, and hopefully His mercy.

I think that is what God wanted Job to experience. Job was blessed with so much and in that day and age, that translated to muy righteousness. As human beings, we just weren't built to handle that. What we have, the "good" things that come our way become the proof of our worth, the object of our attention, and ultimately the sign of our righteousness. Whether we plan it that way or not. Heck, we may not even
see it that way.

What is so cool about the Book of Job, is that even though it seems to be a betting match with the devil, God is doing what He does best. He uses evil to produce good. Job, after his fall, was twice the man he was before. With a leg up from the devil. Bet there was some snickering in heaven when that story ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment