Friday, December 25, 2009

The Least,

This morning, I fed the homeless......

This morning, the homeless fed me.

I have never been this close to poverty. I have contributed to our church pantry, bought the occasional turkey dinner for "those less fortunate". But today, I was in their midst. A church in Houston has been feeding the homeless since 1981. Every morning, they have over 200 men and women show up at their door, hungry and anxious. Yesterday, I was one of the many that joined them to open that door, greet them, and say "Come on in"

I talked to them, as I cleaned tables. They commented on the weather last night. A horrific electrical storm with strong winds. As I talked with them, it was hard to remember I spent it huddled in a nice warm bed. If they were lucky they might have found room under the bridge. We both knew the forecast of the weekend. For me, it would help me know how to dress. For them, it would help them know how to survive.

I was told there were over 18,000 homeless in Houston. In this country, many retired folks migrate to the warmer states to spend the winter, usually in RV's or to homes they keep here. We call them Winter Texans. I found among the homeless, there are Winter Texans as well.

I spoke with a Vietnam vet. He spoke of the discrimination by the city against the homeless. He said this with a mouthful of biscuit and gravy, provided by the kindness of the hearts of that same city.

I talked to a newbie. I found that although, this is a time for plenty, it provides special inconveniences. If newly disconnected, you still looked normal. You could blend in at the library or spend time in the unemployment office to warm up. Holidays closed many of those warm spots down.

Others, like me, feeling the pull of their hearts and responding in kind, brought little treats of snacks, Bibles, and rain gear. I realized that a lot of folks choose this life. There is a hobo trail that leads from churches to shelters. From meal to meal. From hand-out to hand-out. Some of them have it down, even to their demeanor. The humble posture, the downcast eyes, the shuffling steps.

But there are so many others, that for them, this is life. Life as they know it. Life as I see it, this one Christmas Eve morning. When I found time in my busy holiday schedule to pop down and wipe a table or two.

I left with a new perspective....a new humility. I left with a strong resolve to do this again, more often. Knowing in my heart of hearts, I probably won't.
I left, realizing that no matter what the reason, Jesus said "Come" and they did.

And I got to see it.

Heck,I got to play "Him".

No comments:

Post a Comment