Monday, November 28, 2011

Over My Shoulder

Talking about Joseph this past Sunday in my class....

Several of us thought the same thing.  What would it be like to be the father of God's son?  After having to get over the shock, anger, and then relief that Mary had not deceived him, the gravity of the situation must have struck Joseph at one point.  In my family alone, there are all sorts of relational issues due to divorce and re-marriage.  I know this is not a good illustration, but bear with me.  A stepfather is stepping into the life of a child that already has a father.  Parenting, good or bad, is on display and at the critique of all parties involved - ranging from in-laws, out-laws, wife, ex's - you name it.   There is a lot of pressure on all parties.

In the case of Joseph, I don't think I would particularly like God looking over my shoulder, evaluating my parenting skills.  Top it off with Holy Mother Mary as wife and the closest thing to perfect for a son.  Whew!
Glad it was him and not me.  But in the next breath, I had another thought. In the same way it was threatening, it had to be comforting as well.  God not only wanted you to do a good job - a vested interest for sure - but He loved you as well.  Mary was chosen and given to you as a helpmate.  And to have Jesus as your child, your Son.  Can you even come close to comprehending the love and respect you would receive from Him?

Then I started thinking about myself.  Many times I feel as if God is looking over my shoulder.  Judging me for what I have failed to do.  Sizing up the opportunities and gifts I feel He has given me and how short I fall.  But why?  Can't I understand that He is not breathing down my neck, but walking by my side.   Protecting me and loving me along the way.  To add to that, He has given me a divine  Holy Spirit GPS system, that can guide me in the way of knowledge and wisdom.  And the cherry on the top?  Jesus completes the picture, interceding for me, putting in a good word for me.  Letting God know the obstacles I face are real because He faced them as well.  

Wow!!  How blessed am I?  And before I start feeling guilty for either taking this for granted or ignoring it completely, I will just stop here, take a deep breath, and  rest in the Holy Power of the Holy Three

Amen and Amen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment