Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Spider

I love spiders.

Let me rephrase that, I love spider webs. I love when the light is just so and coming out my door, I suddenly see a web hanging from my eaves. That all this industry has been going on without my knowlege. That on this very day, at this very minute, the time was right, the light was right, my thoughts were right, and God said "Enough! You will notice this thing of beauty created in your very space"
That the minute creature of black and brown, sitting within her lace living room, is the very person who created all of this.

Amazing! A few days ago, I found a new web, but sadly there were so many rents or tears in the web, I was somewhat disappointed. It was not a perfect web, as I would have hoped for, but one that was not very pretty.

As my day progressed, my thougths returned to that web again and again. I remembered the bits of remants of insects scattered throughout the web and realized that this was not just web of beauty, but a successful web. The spider was rather large and easy to find, because she was well fed. This little web designer had picked a great spot, laid a great web, and the rents and tears were signs of her success. This web was not solely created for my pleasure but as a tool for the survival of its creator.

As I grow older, I feel much like that web. My body has its share of wounds and tears, and I realize, sitting here writing my experiences, that that is a sign of a successful life. Not measured by the world's success, for sure, but by fact that my Creator has blessed me with food for the journey. And I have received and devoured and each and every scar is a memory of a well fought fight. Whether it be a deepening of my faith or a tool received to fight the next, I have a successful web.

No comments:

Post a Comment