Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Day

I have been to my local grocery store 3 times in the last 12 hours.  I never get everything I need in one trip.  Especially for Thanksgiving. 

This morning, I made my first trip for the day @ 7:00 AM.  I added too much milk to the cornbread for my dressing (I don't cook on a regular basis these days) and so I needed  to replace it.  When I was checking out there were a group of young men standing around the cash register.  One slightly older young man was standing behind the one checking and was giving him pointers on how to classify, where to find codes, etc.  I assumed he was like a head cashier.   All of the young men seemed to be taking it in and were fairly respectful. 

It dawned on me that the slightly older, somewhat balding young man was probably in this position as a job choice.  He might continue in this field, work up to store manager one day.  Or he might be satisfied with where he was and continue working jobs of this type.  Limited by intellect, education and opportunity, his options might be somewhat narrow as well.  The other young men looked like high school, perhaps college students and you could tell this was not their dream job.  A paycheck, a means to an end, an appeasement of family to get off the couch and do "something".

Okay, I know this sounds like physical profiling, but give me a minute.  My point is, this  early job experience for the young men was valuable.  Due to a tragic injury to one of my siblings, I started taking a very large role in our household at the age of nine.  At 16 years of age, I worked a 28 hour a week job in addition to high school.  Life for me has been hard work and perseverence.  I have done well in a self-made woman sort of way.  But you see, in doing that I depended on the knowlege of folks along the way - folks that might never move from their position but they gave me what I needed for my journey.   Now my journey is no more important than theirs and to be frank - I probably would not be where I am today without them.  And I pray to God, there might be others that are where they are in life today because I came across their paths.  

Then why do I still find it hard to see that every person I come into contact has a potential to add or influence my life?  Why do I look around for those I might influence or bless?  God chooses the least, the last, the lost and if I am not careful I will miss them and the lessons God has for me through them. 

A forgotten can of mushroom soup, may be the venue He chooses to place you or I in the path of someone or something special He has for us today!  One way to rationalize my failing memory!  LOL

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jo,
    Your observation is so very true. I have found in my walk with the Lord that He has blessed me so many times by those I thought that "I" was intended to minister to. It is one of the wonderful things to me that the Lord is always surprising me by showing me my preconceived notions are so limited by me. His ways are infinite and miraculous. Recently, a woman asked if we could spend time together, becoming friends. I prayed about it and thought, "yes, she needs a friend and perhaps I can help her." I had to laugh at myself last night when I realized that it is very likely that while I decided to go ahead with building a friendship to help her, the Lord will most definitely use this new friendship and this woman to grow me and work on me in areas He has shown me I need help in.

    I enjoyed your post and love the old grocery photo. How did your cornbread dressing turn out? I didn't cook this year but I love cornbread dressing.

    Blessings,
    Elaine \o/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comments and insights. I have been in that position more than once. I think it may be a combination of things. First of all, I have a real problem receiving - giving is much more comfortable. Combine that with some underlying feelings of unworthiness and there we have me! We are a mixed bag, aren't we?

    The dressing came out well. I was never responsible for the dressing until about 4 years ago, just after my grandmother died. I had always loved hers and hated I was unable to get the recipe before she passed. A friend of mine shared her grandmother's and it was perfect.

    Thanks again for writing..

    B

    ReplyDelete