Saturday, September 18, 2010

When Old Meets New


I have a dear friend that co-taught my Sunday adult class for many years. He was an excellent teacher, we had complementary styles. Bringing more questions to the table than answers. He was loved by everyone, kids and youth especially

I frequent a local coffee shop in the morning, before work. Kind of my sit and think place before hitting that crazy, tell you what it is world. On two different occasions I have seen him sitting there with a young man at least 20 years his junior. My friend is a successful businessman and fine Christian and I discovered that he mentors young men in our community this way. I teasingly asked him what he was up to - he said it kept him young.

I can imagine Paul being much like that with Timothy. Older, wiser - one coming to the end of the journey sharing what he knew and believed with one just starting his. From associated writings and history, it is felt that Timothy was not fatherless, but his father did not play an important religious role in his life. His mother Eunice and grandmother Lois were strong Christians and from them young Tim received his spiritual legacy.

Second to sitting at the feet of Jesus, I would have liked to have heard Paul. Amidst all his bravado, conviction, and correction it must have been like sitting near a powerhouse of spiritual energy. No wonder Timothy was attracted.

No comments:

Post a Comment