Saturday, September 11, 2010

Chewing your Cud


Ever watch a cow chew their cud. I spent alot of my weekends, growing up, on my grandparents farm in East Texas. They raised cattle and when I was young, I was fascinated watching them chew their cud. They chew with their mouths open, so they have this slimy green mess in and around their lips. Contented cows chew their cud for about 8 hours a day. They graze and then regurgitate a bolus or cud and chew on it.

Not very appetizing, but that is the way I study scripture. I teach a class of adults every Sunday and I enjoy using the lectionary to pick the scripture. It seemed even when I didn't try, the preacher and I usually matched on topic or scripture (God thing) so I decided to try to do it, giving the folks in my class the opportunity to "chew" and discuss what they had heard in service. I don't always pick the same scripture now (gospel, epistle, Psalm, Old Testament readings each week) but it is fun to read and chew on the scripture the week long. I used to study all week, commentaries, articles, blogs, etc. But now I chew on it during the week and as the weekend approaches start my study.

I find my chewing makes me see things from the point of view of a 1st century Christian. Either those hearing the words from Christ or about Him from the original hearers. We tend to pick and choose scripture according to our need at the time. We make it fit our circumstances and apply it how we think it should go. I found out a while back, that God will surprise you everytime. As I have chewed on scripture, God will relate it to something I would have never thought to do.

So, you can teach an old cow new tricks. I am just content to chew.

2 comments:

  1. I always figure reading the psalms Lectio Divina fashion is another form of cud-chewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! A luscious dessert of imagery. Thanks for your comment

    ReplyDelete