Monday, September 13, 2010

It Just Keeps On Giving


Yesterday my grandson and I went to the museum. He "loves" science and I am ever ready to stir the flames of a 10 year old interest in something other than video games.

Of course no trip to the museum would be complete without a trip to the museum store. A few polished rocks were selected and then he saw it. The giant Pixy Stix. It was a 3' plastic tube of mouth-watering delight to be created. I say that, because you were able to select the flavor of powdered dextrose you wanted to fill it with. Of course, we had to have some of each. Extremely disappointed when the root beer was stuck and would not pour. A day later, he is still working on it. Conveniently hidden from his grandmother because he knows how much I love sour stuff. I could wipe out an entire flavor layer without batting an eye!

The scripture from Timothy this Sunday was just like that. Mouth-watering. Just chock full of good stuff. In fact I think I gave my class a little spiritual indigestion yesterday. So, I will not make the same mistake twice. I will give it to you in a few more bites.

The letters to Timothy have always been some of my favorites. Many of the epistles had little to say to me as a child or youth, but Timothy has grown with me. Like a pair of pants with a seam that could be let out and let out and let out. When I was a youth and overwhelmed with the faith I professed the the faith I lived, I read Timothy and felt loved and special. As a young adult working side by side some of the patriarchs of our church, I felt capable. And as a mentor to young women in my last few years, I have gained wisdom. A scripture for all seasons of life.

Have you ever had someone look up to you? It is a scary feeling. Lots of pressure to live up to their unreasonable expectations. Afraid to let them see the foibles and defects you possess. I can even remember the light fading in one young woman's eyes when I told her some of the escapades of my youth. I could almost see my pedastal crumble. But after the dust settled, I was on her level and our relationship took on new meaning.

This is where Paul takes a flying leap off the lofty heights of his. He lays down the dirt on who he was and what he did. Took a lot of guts. It is a "tell all", but I think it reveals more of the love Paul had for Timothy. Timothy's spiritual maturity was more important than his perception of Paul.

That is enough for today. We will chew some more on the next blog entry..

No comments:

Post a Comment