Thursday, September 2, 2010

Count the Cost


As I travel this journey to God, I realize how very self-centered I have been. Somehow, in the scheme of things, I subconsciously feel that every scripture passage was written just for me. The loving ones embrace me. The hard ones confuse me. And the harsh ones convict me. I know they speak to me, but I have not, nor will not have exclusive rights to them.

Kind of like these. You must take up your cross. You will hate your father, mother, sister, brother. If you build a house or fight an enemy, you must place your assets along side your liabilities. You don't go in unprepared. Cost too great, you pull out before you lose it all.

For me, these passages just stir visions of inadequacy, righteous fervor, or self and family sacrificing. They dance in my head and make me feel less and less worthy of the calling I feel I heard Him make. Fears - of inferiority or hardship - making me question myself and my very relationship to Him.

But as I study this week's scripture from Luke 14, I realize the crowds Jesus was speaking to were not those that had gathered to hear Him teach. No, these folks were the ones traveling with Him. Kind of like holy groupies. They were there to see the traveling show. I can just imagine the mix. The passionate on-fire youth, the downtrodden, the zealots, the poor, maybe outcasts. Many folks there for what they could get for themselves; what was in it for them

But He tells them, honestly, you have no clue. You have no idea how this is going to end up. The crowds, the attention, the fame - it is all going to be short-lived. If you go the distance, it is going to cost you. And if you are not here for the right reason, you are going to come up short. You are going to be left with wilted party hats and half inflated balloons. And the guest of honor will not be around. Well, mot in the way you imagine or would want Him to be.

Do you have what it takes? And if you do, are you willing to sacrifice it? This was not a showdown between them and Him. It was a compassionate Savior speaking to those that were getting on board; that this just might be the wrong bus.

I feel like one of them sometimes. I feel like I don't really get it. That I am in the crowd - holding up the signs and yelling the slogans. But I am not fully behind my Candidate. That in theory, I am on His team. But will I be when the going gets tough. What if, in fact, I have already deserted Him. Not by way of the sinful paths - like rejection and pride. But by more subtle and devious exits - apathy and detachment.

I would hope I would be the one who said, "You can count on me because I have what it takes. I'll gladly pay the cost. I am willing and able to play all the way. Count me in."

Anyway, I would hope I so.

No comments:

Post a Comment