Saturday, March 10, 2012

Garden of the Mind


"We spend an enormous amount of energy making up our minds about other people.  Not a day goes by without somebody doing or saying something that evokes in us the need to form an opinion about him or her.   We hear a lot, see a lot, and know a lot.  The feeling that we have to sort it all out in our minds and make judgments about it can be quite oppressive.

The desert fathers said that judging others is a heavy burden, while being judged by others is a light one.  Once we can let go of our need to judge others, we will experience an immense inner freedom.  Once we are free from judging, we will be also free for mercy.  Let's remember Jesus' words:  "Do not judge, and you will not be judged"  (Matthew 7:1)."
                                                       Henri Nouwen
If I had to pick the one sin I struggle with the most, it would be this one.   Not that I think I am better than anyone else.  I think it stems from being so self-critical as a child and youth, that I have become a professional.  Over the years, I have become better, thanks to God – literally! – but I still do it.  I still slip and say a few things, but the real battlefield is in my mind.  Then, after I make my mental slice and dice on some poor unsuspecting soul, I beat myself up for being such a poor child of God and the cycle continues.  
So when I read Henri’s words, they hit home.  What if when I started mentally sizing someone up, or thinking critically about a situation, I just said “STOP IT”.  I think it is great to seek out the source of why we do things.  Rough childhood, low self-esteem, mental/physical abuse etc.  But once we find the root of the problem- just uproot it.  If I had a weed in my yard (at this time of the year, don’t we all), I would, not ponder why it was there.  I would not look up the variety or seek the source or wind velocity that brought this predator to my lawn.  I just take ahold of that sucker and pull.  Then it is over!!!  I certainly don’t turn around and beat myself about why it was there or how I let it creep in, I just keep a look out for that next wascally weed. Then when that demon dandelion raises it white fluffy head, I grab it by the root and pull.  I guess since I have you thinking along the springtime theme, you could put prayer, Bible study, and Christian fellowship in the same category as fertilizer or weed-killer.  They are pretty much the only weapons I know that are any help in this waging battle I am fighting in my brain-o-sphere.   
Wow!  I feel like a real garden gal!

No comments:

Post a Comment