Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Easter Truth

When I was a young mother, I was torn between two camps.  My fundamentalist friends were determined that their pre-schoolers know  the whole truth and nothing but the Easter truth.  The exact events of the crucifixion and resurrection.  All the gory details.  Their children had to know, right along with their colors and ABC's, that Jesus Christ died for their sins.  How else will they know what a sacrifice He made for them.  


My friends that swung a little further the other way, felt that Easter should be a time of little seeds planted in moist cotton balls, deep inside Dixie cups.  Watching and waiting for the new life that would emerge from the seed.   Or a chrysalis, ready to open, a new butterfly, symbol of metamorphosis - life from death.   Not a word about B-L-O-O-D or the C-R-O-S-S.   I was torn between the two, wanting to be the good Christian mommy I knew I should be. But somehow, I found my own stand.    I came to the realization that if my daughter did not know and love Jesus, His death would be just another sad story.  Love first, sacrifice later.


Twenty plus years later, I am again working with children and Easter is again knocking at my door.  But I am older and wiser and I see things a bit different.  I still feel the children should know and love Him, but they must also know how much He loves them.  For that was the gift of Easter.  Love came down for us at Christmas.  But Love died and rose for us at Easter.  


Here is a poem I wrote about my earlier dilemma.  A little dark and edgy, I warn you....



Easter Truth



Should little ones learn
In Sunday School rooms
That their dear Jesus died
A horrible death
To save their sweet souls
So with each sweet breath
They can raise their voices
To sing Alleluia

Symbols of that death
As common to them
As their dolls and toy trains
Their burden to tote
Until each of them speaks
The gory tale by rote
Sweet voices singing
‘Bout rivers of blood

Alleluia

Why would you let them
Play with nails from His cross?
Metal and heavy
With sharp pointed ends
Could put out their eye
Or might pierce their hands
So how could you let them
Play with nails from His cross?

Alleluia

Or let a little one
Wear a thorny crown
Could you bear to see
Their perfect skin marred
It’s sure to leave them
Wounded, perhaps scarred
So on those dear heads
Please no crown of thorns

Alleluia

Or dress one so young
In a blood stained robe
Perhaps torn in shreds
They’d surely ask why
And when they were told
It would make them cry
So let’s not dress them
In His bloody robe

Alleluia

In the eyes of a child
Crosses are made of gold
Worn about the neck
And robes made of satin
Or nautical suits
And heels of white patent
The only thing marred
On a small child of five

Alleluia

For He begged the children
To gather round his knee
His joy to watch them
Play with fuzzy chicks
Or hunt egg’s colored shell
Laugh at pollen touched noses
From the lilies they smell
His hugs to enfold the
Sweet children He died to save

Alleluia

1 comment:

  1. Great post!

    It's a lot like the discussion I hear about the Cross--corpus or no corpus? One with a bloody Jesus hanging from it or one with no Jesus at all, supposedly signifying the resurrected Christ?

    My answer--both.

    The 2nd means nothing without the 1st, and the 1st was in vain without the 2nd.

    ReplyDelete