Friday, March 2, 2012

Walking Contradiction

Yeah there a lot of folks out there just like me
We are what we are and we are what you see
We go to the church we go to bars
We read the Word we read the stars
Dixie waves in our front yards
But the stars and stripes are in our hearts
Yeah you might see grey but we’re black and white
Not afraid to love not afraid to fight
We love our Momma’s hell raising Christian
A midnight running
Walking Contradiction

“Walking Contradiction” by James Wesley


Had discussions the last two days with friends, along the same lines, same questions….

“If Jesus came here and now, would I recognize Him”

I would want to say “Of Course”, but I sure have a lot of years of religion under my belt. Now that is not the same as a lot of years as being a Christian. I am an evolved child of God and I am glad for that. But I got a lot of stuff in me that might make it more difficult for me to be as accepting as I would like. I hope my ears, eyes, and heart would be open to the physical incarnation of God, were He/Her to pass my way today, but I am not sure.

I just read Peter’s speech before Caiaphas and the Sandhedrin in Acts. I can only imagine the sun-leathered face, the tousled hair, less than manicured beard. A man who probably dressed the same as when he was hauling his catch out of the Sea of Galilee. Speaking “educated” words, words that astonished and perplexed his hearers. Like someone else occupied his body – and that was exactly it - another One did. Then I think of Paul, a devout Jew. A learned man of Greek citizenry, spouting testimony about a blinding incident on the road to Damascus. About spending 3 days in a room with scales over his eyes, waiting for someone to come rescue him. Then another 9 years spent in and around his hometown of Tarsus, being taught by the spirit of Christ. Sent on a mission to the Gentiles??

Wow! Talk about fanatics! Talk about unbelievable, improbable, to the point of ridiculous men, professing to be apostles of the Messiah! You would have to be a fool to believe them, their stories, or their Savior. Fools for Christ. I think I have heard that before. Walking contradictions for God.

You see, that is what God specializes in. Choosing the least, the last, the lost. I am afraid my eyes may be open but just might not be able to see past the scruffy clothes or long ponytail. Or maybe I will not be able to hear beyond the poor grammar or theology that does not run alongside mine. I am afraid my heart will be so in tune with my expectations, much like the Pharisees and Saducees that watched Christ during those last days on earth. So that it slowly closes shut, missing the opportunity of a lifetime.

God lives and breathes and walks amongst us in contradictions. People that don’t look like us, talk like us, and, God love them, think like us. My prayer today, I hope everyday, is that, as the Body of Christ, we start being on the lookout for walking contradictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment