Monday, March 1, 2010

Not all about me

Duh!!

But let me explain. I visited my parents this weekend with my grandson. They live in a small East Texas town, retired from the big city. This little town was the place of their birth, their childhood, their courtship. They returned to live near my grandparents and do a little ranching/farming. Life is slowing down a bit for them and each time I go, I realize it a bit more and more. When we see someone on a daily basis, it takes a photo from the past to make us realize how they have aged. When our "photos" are taken by our visits from time to time, we seem to notice it a bit more and I feel it saddens us somewhat. Especially when it is our parents.

In my earlier life, I felt it was my duty when visiting to "do something" Keep the conversations going, take them somewhere, do something with them, etc. But on this trip it was cold and wet and we pretty much stayed in. We each had a recliner and a flannel throw and we just hibernated and watched the Olympics and chatted. My grandson of course had his needs, but they were things that I knew my parents would enjoy doing with him. He helped my mom make dinnner. He made a flannel throw with her help. He and my dad went riding around in their little green Polaris. And what was I doing while all this was going on? Taking a nap.

I do not have to be the center for the world to revolve on its own. I am not the source, heck, I am not even a close second. Life can be better without my input. That is a scary thing to come to grips with. But how freeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment