Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Child Shall Lead....

Yesterday I attended the funeral of a baby - a preemie and one of two little boys born to a young couple in their twenties. So very sad, not in that there was not a chance that the baby or babies might not survive, but in the fact that this baby was never really known. How do you remember a child that is less than 2 pounds, that never even opened its eyes, nor uttered a sound?

The young couple expressed their hopes that in the loss of this little one, we would embrace the children we have or those we know and love. That each and every life is precious and to be treasured. How difficult this must have been for them, yet they could look beyond the pain to those around them.

They were so appreciative of those surrounding them, loving them through this. I thought how many times in my life I have been brought to my knees by the pain and suffering this life has dealt me and mine. How these tragedies brought me to a new awareness of the fathomless love of my God and those who claim kinship. I think it is hard to not "assign" the tragedy or trauma to God's will because the outcome so many times is far beyond our ability to comprehend. The depth of love, the peace amidst turmoil, the jewel of wisdom or understanding that we might never have known had we not walked that way.

But God does not choose to be labeled or slandered, given credit or discredit for the things of this life. He holds, caresses, and comforts us through the ordeal. He suffers and shares the burden of our pain and grief. How does it work, I know not, nor do I want to.

I just know that in that funeral yesterday, He sat beside us and cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment