Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Just Deserts or Desserts

I have a friend who recently came home to our group from an extended absence. The absence in itself was not one of his own choosing but a form of incarceration/rehab. I was anxious about his return. There were so many emotions that had been slipped under the carpet, just ready to raise their ugly heads. But the return was full of humility and repentance; no one and nothing was prepared for it. Lavish welcome, chastisement, anger, joy - all sentiments in whatever form or fashion, paled in comparison to the deep-seated humility shared. Now, I am sure there will be many that will be unhappy that there should be more consequences to this act of betrayal/desertion. Feelings that this friend should get his just deserts. But what are " just deserts". I always thought it was spelled "desserts" as in sweet treat after dinner. But it is spelled deserts in the plural, meaning "that which one deserves". Interesting. Because when it is the other guy, we are more than satisfied when they receive their comeuppance. However when it is me, I want grace, not justice. Sometimes the spelling, "desserts" is used, as a play on words. I like it better. Just and dessert are oxymorons. Dessert is the whip cream on the top of the sundae. Dessert is the best you could hope for, times 10. Dessert is something you don't deserve. I think maybe my idea of just desserts and God's are not the same. Would the sinful learn more from consequences? A resounding YES, we might say without thinking. Or do they learn more from grace. HMMM? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment