Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Revelation: God's or Man's

A correlation was posed between the church of today and the church or yesteryear. Great minds with brilliant ideas were easily labeled heretics if their information was deemed against the church. In thinking of the here and now, I though how limited our view is as well. There are people thinking outside of the religious or church box and they are getting the same kind of flack. Centuries from now, our writings will be viewed as we now see those of centuries past. Limited but so passionate. My life was changed when I was researching a scripture and found a website on world scripture. The name ,was in itself. interesting. As I read an excerpt from Isaiah (of all books!), I found more or less the same teaching or illustration in the holy words from the Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish, and Muslim faiths; it blew me totally out of the water. In my evangelical mode, my first feeling was one of anger. It was as if they had stolen the Holy Grail. How dare they! Then I started to wonder, where did they get this - how did they get this - unless it came from God, in their land, in their time, in their faith - REVEALED TO THEM!!! I could literally see my club membership card vanish before my eyes. My exclusive ticket to heaven crumble to ashes in my hand and I literally and figuratively cried for what seemed an hour. It took some time to recover from the remorse of what I had been, what I had said, what I had even taught. But then I realized the sin was not where I had been or what I had believed. The only “sin” would be if I stopped traveling the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment