Wednesday, October 28, 2009

God's Economy

The teachings of the Bible can come across pretty harsh. The Old Testament especially. A lot of killing people, beheading, stoning, etc. Even the sayings of Christ sometimes didn't match the man he was. I think sometimes, we take the statements at face value. The statement's face, not the man who made it.

One is "Judge not lest you be judged" As a child growing up in my homogenous Christian world, I could almost see God behind a huge mahogany podium, black robes, wire rim glasses perched on his nose, looking down on me, gavel in hand, ready to pronounce my sentence. All because I was critical about a friend. It was a simple cause and effect, sin and punishment kind of thing to me.

Lately, I have questioned that. I think it may mean, if you judge other folks, 99% of the time, you are saying the same critical things to yourself. It is a habit. You can't cut someone else down without nicking yourself. I hate doing it and I try my best not to, but it is a hard habit to break. But what a difference it is making in my life. The less I criticize others, the less I criticize myself. It seems I was the judge in black robes. Not God. I am sure it doesn't make him shout for joy, but He is pretty much pointing out one of the economic realities of kingdom living. My cause and my effect. Hmmm - wonder what else I can find.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, that's an interesting take on it. That makes total sense. Can't nick others without nicking yourself. Can't love others without loving yourself.

    I have been wondering recently if that verse is talking more about other people than about God.

    Interesting ponderings :)

    I get annoyed at how face value we take stuff in the Western world when it comes to the scriptures. Jesus was so much more Eastern in his thinking - I think a lot of the things he said were not for their face value, but the value was in the thinking they brought about because of the paradoxes and questions they raised. The Bible feels much more fluid to me these days rather than a manual of good middle class respectable living to get you into heaven ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right on. I have a friend who is reading a book, "The Zen Teachings of Jesus". I cannot recommend the book, but I value her opinion. I read a really good book by Joan Chittester, "The Wisdom of the World". She takes morality themes from, respectively, Muslim, Judaism, Hindu, and Buddhist and compares them to those in Christianity. Blows you away how similar they are. And I am so jealous of their spiritual disciplines and meditation. Thanks so much for being the first to comment on my blog. I really enjoyed reading yours. Hope to back up and read some of your older posts as well.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jo. If you read further on in my blog you will see I am particularly heretical but if you can bear that then good, haha :)

    I plan on reading more of yours too :)

    ReplyDelete