Monday, May 25, 2009

Be Good

Good. What exactly does that word mean?

Is it an adjective, an adverb, maybe even a noun - if you add "s". Is it a state of compatibility with others or harmony in the universe. No matter, the grammatical function, how is "good" measured? By me, by you, by the coach, by the teacher, by the government, by the church, by a sense of morality.

Good is an odd word. It is what we try to convince babies of, as we put this rough, foreign substance of cereal in their mouth, right before they crinkle their noses and spit it out. It is what we urge our children with, when we try to fool them into taking the foul tasting cough syrup. We use it when we try to convince adolescents the merit of running our errands or finishing their assigned chores.

But what about in the Bible. It says God is good. So what's up with that? Is it based on his actions, his blessings, his benevolence, his mercy, or his grace. What about me. Is goodness something that bubbles up from within me, or is it a set of polite actions I have been taught since childhood that fall into line with decent living? Is it something I can fake until I get it right or must it be something that is original and therefore non-reproducible?

What if it is Christ in me. Starting in my soul, traveling to my heart, and then making its way to my mind. The seat where my actions are dictated. And if I am his, not by what society dictating my actions, or by manners directing what I should say. But by the inherent spirit of God that weaves itself into the very fiber of my being. Becoming so deeply entrenched, I find I have no choice, nor do I want one.

Kingdom living - Ah.........

Cool

No comments:

Post a Comment