Monday, July 5, 2010

Freedom


On this official holiday for the Holi-day before, I wish you a Happy Independence Day. I think that is cool. Having a day after to enjoy the freedom from work, the freedom from care.

I remember 4th's as a kid seeing fireworks being such an awesome thing. All day long you would think about it. My mom was a big decorator and everything was red, white, and blue in our house. It may be some corny fold out accordion centerpiece but we were true blue, literally. As kids, it seemed like the dark would never come. It is even tougher for kids today. With daylight savings, 9:30 is the firework seeing time in Texas.

And I remember the smells. The smell of mosquito repellent spray or the burning incense of the "coil". Charcoal smoke and the smell of slightly charred weiners, clinging to your seersucker short set. Proudly wearing your badge of mustard and sweet relish stain down its front.

Sitting on the ground on an old quilt at the feet of your parents and their friends. Learning as much about life from listening to them as the things you lived. The soft hum of crickets and a radio or two set on a station playing Stars and Stripes.

And the sights! The blackest black you could see, split by a shooting meteor of light, exploding with a sound of thunder filling the sky as our "oohs and aahs" joined the barking of neighborhood dogs. Unlike today, there was plenty of time between launching's to comment on the beauty of the colors or the shapes made by their residual puffs of smoke.

Nothing to compare to the displays of today, because the displays of today were nowhere to be found to compare with. Isn't that about the coolest things.

Today's best is the best because there is no tomorrow to compare it with. And it works the other way as well. Today's worst cannot compare with tomorrow's. For the simple fact, it ain't here yet. So why do I let myself get down in the dumps over something that may not happen or pin my hopes on some event that may never be. When the present is what He gives me, day by day. I can waste it away by wishing or longing. I can ruin it by regrets or fears. Or I can sit back and just enjoy what He has for me today. And have it to reminisce about tomorrow.

To top it off, if I have trouble living in the present, He can help me do just that!

2 comments:

  1. ...and don't forget my personal favorite, the smell of charcoal and cooking meat, mixed with the smell of gunpowder from the burning and burnt fireworks.

    Oddly enough, I still like "the morning after," when I am cleaning up the carcasses of the fireworks that were shot...smelling just that little residual whiff of them, and smiling at what fun it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hadn't thought about that. Don't smells just bring it home?

    ReplyDelete