Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Power of the Word

I have read through my life, the power of the Word. I have heard revival evangelists invoke the Holy Scripture as if calling down the lightning of God. I have heard people calling on the biblical promises as if they were spoken by God to them. I have even dabbled in them, saying them like holding a magic lamp, waiting for the genie to appear. But as I have studied recent scripture, I realize the words are not a magic lamp or wand. The power is in the One who spoke them or gave them to man to speak them. He gives power to the Word. Something we cannot conjure up, nor required to have faith strong enough to believe. There is no hidden button or special voice inflection required. They are the words we speak, when our mind is telling us otherwise. They are the cries of pain, when our loved one is critically sick. They are the tears we shed when there is no other way to express our sorrow. When Christ was in the wilderness, weakened by hunger and thirst, they were the one thing He still had. When Satan attacked Him, He had at His disposal so much power and might. He was the very God incarnate. But He chose to fight with an earthly weapon. Let me rephrase that. He chose to fight with a human, heaven provided weapon. The very Word of God given to a undeserving, unappreciative world. But given none the less. There is power in the Word. Oh yes there is!

No comments:

Post a Comment