Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Mary's Feet

Lessons at Mary’s Feet

Scent of lotion as I soothed dry skin

Her heel cupped gently in my palm

A meager offering in cancer’s wake

My love and fears mixed with the balm

Sisters linked through faith, not birth

Our journey together about to end

The scales of our lives were now tipping

How does one lose their best friend?

Twelve who knew, gathered in a room

Hosannas repeating in their ears

Preparing to sup on bread and wine,

Almost forgetting, His time was near

Christ knowing, as He removed His robe,

Only actions would convey what words lacked.

Removing sandals, He began to wash

The soles of those loved, calloused and cracked

Lesson written in water, not sand

Script of affection, missive to serve

His a Master’s heart, but servant’s hands.

Grace to give, not earn or deserve

Before them in submission, Christ knelt

Ministry not needed, or even desired

Glimpse of heaven, divinely ordained,

Last ritual, final portrait inspired

Did mere water cleanse twelve that night

Or did His tears blend in the bath?

Forgiveness washing betrayal’s stain

Final offering left beside death’s path

My friend’s cross not fashioned of wood

Chemo the nails, radiation the thorn

My last gift to her, I understood

Her plight was to leave, mine was to mourn

Only now, do I truly perceive grief’s gain

His found in death, while mine found in life

To stay or leave, such companionable pain

My only hope born through His anguish and strife


No comments:

Post a Comment