Saturday, February 4, 2012

Trust and Obey

Last Sunday in church, we sang the old gospel hymn, "Trust and Obey".  Hadn't sung it for awhile and it brought back such fond memories.  Sitting in a starched voile dress, layered over a
mountain of petticoats.   That scratchy lace at the collar and
the white button at the wrist gloves. The nylon socks and white patent shoes topped, make that bottomed the outfit.  Standing by my parents holding onto the old hymnal, singing in "fellowship sweet".  

The words became an automatic duo to me.  Like love and marriage or Batman and Robin.   Trust and obey.   As an adult, looking over my life, I realized it was a little more complex than that.  I really had an anxiety issue as a kid and young adult.  In fact I remember in a small group saying I would give anything if there was a store where you could purchase faith.  That faith Paul talked about in Philippians - the kind that created a peace that surpassed all understanding.   The one that could calm my jitters, worries, and fears.  

The title of this beloved hymn came from the words of a young may attending a revival meeting of the great Dwight L Moody, evangelist at the turn of the 19th century.  He stood up, I assume at the altar call, and said " I am not sure, but I will trust, and I will obey".  When I read that this week, I thought, that is it! The key to faith.  First of all confessing that we are not sure.   You see, I think we see trust as something we do, but in essence it is God's work.  It may come through a series of events we have no control over or it may be a light bulb experience where you are moved to say what that young man said,  I am not sure.

Then the next step.  But I will trust.   I give it up or over.  I lay it all down.  I pry the fingers of my control away and give it over to what I know of You and I leave it there.  I walk away.  I relinquish what I think is mine.  What hold I think I have.  What skills I think I bring to this table.  All nothing in light of the overwhelming power and presence of the Mighty God!  Duh!!!

I will obey.  Obedience is the thing we put first, in most cases.  Because we think obedience is our part of the pie.  It is what we do.  We make that conscious effort to do what we feel God would have us to do. We take the path, or choose the way.  But don't you see.  If we truly admit our ignorance and relinquish our lives, obedience is the natural next step.  We can do none other.  Like sheep, we have no resources and we can only listen to and be led by the shepherd.  He knows where the pastures and waters are.  He is aware of enemies and protects us from them.  And He will never forsake us, even providing a home with Him forever and ever.

Trust and Obey!  Duh!

No comments:

Post a Comment