Saturday, January 21, 2012

Judge?



For in the way you judge, you will be judged 
and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.....
                                           Matthew 7:2


Scripture has to be the most fascinating thing in the world.   I mean really!   It changes with you - no matter where you are in your faith walk, it walks with you....  


You are this prim and proper little legalist and in this brief passage, the only words that pop out at you are judge, standard, measure.   Good God, it is about time You asked for my help!


Then someone gets in your faith, I mean face, and asks you who made you judge and jury.   And then you realize, that is not a law degree hanging on your thelogical wall.   Once that gets through your thick skull, you realize Jesus was not giving you the right to judge.  In fact,  bluntly, you really don't know what right means.  You are clueless and you want to know.  


And the journey begins.  You are relentless.   In fact you are fanatical in your pursuit of this knowledge.   First you dissect the words themselves - you study verb tenses and the Greek.  Next to the context - the history of the times, nuances of the language, even the sardonic wit of the culture.   You peruse Augustine and Wesley.  You throw in a little Barth and Nouwen, for good measure, no pun intended.  And you realize, though a little wiser, you are not much closer to knowing what He means. What does he want me to do?


And, in a moment of weakness, an epiphany, it comes to you.  What if this is not all about me.  Am I my brother's keeper?  Though ill-used, that was a pretty good question.  And slowly but surely, the glass clears, just a bit,.  You realize that judge is another word for unjust condemnation.   Measure is a heinous label used to keep folks where we want them.  And
standard is just an edict of my narrow-minded perception.   Wow!  


But wait there is more.  Just when you are settling into your "I've got this all figured out" chair, you realize it is not all about the other guy.  It is about you!  What is up with this!   I have just turned to the next chapter.  But no, it can't be left alone.   It can't stop with you, fellow guy, because it is also about what being judge, jury, and executioner does to me.  It shrivels the heart, impairs the sight, and muffles the voices of humanity.   And you don't even want to think of what a small heart, blindness, and deafness does to your relationship with God.    


Because, you come up lacking.  You are judged, my friend, and the verdict is - EMPTY.  And in the bounty and extravagance of His grace, you want your cup open and waiting.  Heck, you want to trade in that cup for a bucket, make that a barrel.    


So what comes first the chicken or the egg?  Does my judgemental spirit spill over from my criticism of my fellow man to myself?  Or does the belittling of myself splash onto my fellow man?  Or is it just a vicious cycle, each adding kindling to the other?  LIke two wolves in a circle chasing each others' tails, until they are a blur


How to stop the madness?  Maybe it is to realize His heart grieves with my dilemma and though I may be helpless, He is not.  


 Ah, as always, my first step.  Admission of my ignorance and helplessness. 


Second step - STOP the voices......Negativity has met its match (I hope)


Thanks be to God!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Jo.... great post on a topic that is "close" to my heart. It surely must grieve the heart of God when we judge others as if we had nothing to be acquitted or forgiven for. It is a confusing topic because there are places where we are told to "judge" but I think the difference may be that in those cases it means use discernment, not point the finger and then consign the person to the gallows. That is not our place.

    Your point on how it diminishes ourselves and our relationship with the Lord when we judge others in our flesh rather than by the standard of God's Word.

    Thanks for a great, thought-provoking read.

    Blessings,
    Elaine \o/

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol... I meant to say that your point on how our judging effects our relationship with the Lord really hit home with me. If I am the judge and jury, what place does God have in my life, the bailiff, the court reporter? Heaven forbid I should ever try to push God out of the judgment seat and enthrone myself there!

    Blessings,
    Elaine \o/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments...I will enjoy picturing God as the bailiff or the court reporter. That is a comical picture. I wonder if He is laughing when He sees us sitting in the judges seat, playing court. Kind of like seeing your child play dress up but then saddened when you hear the words of hate and judgement coming from their mouths. Very interesting...thank you for sharing with me.

    ReplyDelete