Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Serenity

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
As it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
If I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
And supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

Caught you, didn't I? How many of you started to read this and pulled out the hand to catch the yawn that would come from hearing this old but true prayer yet one more time? But, you were surprised when it continued, weren't you perhaps even amazed at the words that followed.

This prayer was written by Reinhold Niebuhr, theologian and political activist, in 1937. It was a preface to a sermon he preached and eventually was picked up by a few newsletters, some even to servicemen in World War II. Of course, most of us know the first few lines. They became the byword or by-prayer for the group Alcoholics Anonymous.

I have a friend that is going through professional and financial upheaval during a downsizing of his industry. To top it off, his 17 year old daughter is having serious health issues. In my prayers for the family, the serenity prayer came to mind and I searched the internet to double-check the words I remembered. I was jaw-dropped amazed to read this original and complete version. I decided to bring it before the class I teach on Sunday's and some interesting comments and discussion followed.

I don't want to make this too long, so I will feed it to you in little bites - one or more over the next few days. Open wide!


No comments:

Post a Comment